Wednesday 1 January 2014

01/01/14

I am sat cross-legged in bed writing to the rhythm of the rain that has been insistently thundering on my window for most of this, the first of many, grey, January mornings. I'm not feeling too fuzzy-headed having been tucked up in bed by the time the fizz of fireworks gave way to the inevitable scream of sirens, choosing to spend my thirty-first in slippers in the kitchen with my boyfriend, assorted housemates mulling around cooking and cursing loudly in Italian, a few glasses of red wine & a game of Bananagrams, the complexity of which was only increased following aforementioned beverages.

- Car of dreams parked down the road - Crochet blankets for sale (I must finish mine for my Gran...!) - Almost sunset on Columbia Road - Boyfriend shaving accompanied by palm -

Occasionally I have felt that new year marks the very definite change that is manifested in the pinning up of new calendars (William Morris prints for me in 2014) & the ruthless reigning in of shoe collections, but this year the transition has felt ongoing since about September-time, the month that has historically always represented the start of a new school term - even-heeled shoes & freshly-sharpened pencils. During that leaf-smattered month of change, mulled over during glazed tube journeys & scribbled in the margins of notebooks, I decided to make a set of commitments to myself that I want to reassert as we begin another year:

- to take responsibility for my personal happiness
- to invest in the relationships I have with those closest to me
- to nurture creativity in every aspect of my life


- Our shy cat friend - The lines of 'Sivill House' against the sky on Columbia Road - My face on Columbia Road - Boyfriend in my faded denim jacket & his infinity necklace - 

Starting this blog represents a nod towards the third of these 'resolutions' & I hope that I will come to consider 'Paisley & Peeptoes' as a valuable means through which I can express myself. I read a lot of other blogs that I love & admire (a list of which may well appear on this page at some point soon) but my expectations in seeking to emulate their beautiful content & broad readership have proved previous attempts unsuccessful. I hope that in writing this blog, first & foremost, for myself (expect more documentation of the weather patterns, the bunches of flowers currently on my desk & the odd recipe) that I can be true to what I like to, & hopefully a handful of you, like to read too.

- Our moose friend in 'Drink, Shop & Do' on Valentines - Afternoon naps after lectures - Bread for dunking in soup - Tea at 'Drink, Shop & Do' on Valentines - 

I'm off to spend my afternoon reading up on some new vegetarian recipes, watching re-runs of 'New Girl' & very definitely avoiding the storm rattling the skylight of my bathroom next door. I leave you with some of my favourite photographs taken over the last year, both at home & adventures outside of it, which will hopefully continue to remind me throughout the new year, to appreciate the every day & to do small things with great love. 
Speak soon - O.

No comments:

Post a Comment