Sunday 2 November 2014

02/11/14: 'The Beet Generation' begins!

I think we're likely all full of contradictions if we're being honest. I've always been meticulously organised yet hopelessly forgetful, full of love for my family yet prone to my brother's provocation, spontaneously impulsive yet frustratingly indecisive. The latest development on this little blog of mine particularly concerns the last of this trio. It was while peeling beetroots in the kitchen one evening after work (for this particularly tasty Greek dip for a dinner party, if you must know!) that I joked off-handedly to Andrew that it was a wonder that no one had started a blog called 'The Beet Generation'. We're continually bandying puns between us, cool couple that we are, but I felt as if this particular turn of phrase might have something in it. Full of enthusiasm for a whole-hearted rebrand, I soon discovered that Blogger had other ideas, or rather that the person who had already nabbed the URL didn't because it lead me to a site that hadn't had a post for years. Hum. I abandoned the idea for a while before it came back to me this afternoon with a more determined intention for this blog to represent what I really wanted to write about (& an altogether funkier URL to boot...!)

I didn't have a particular idea of what I wanted this blog to be about when I started it & I can't say that that has changed much. I only ever wanted somewhere to document my day-to-day life, to even take a step away from it to hold certain moments in my hands a while, & hopefully reach out to a community that I was already invested in from the scores of brilliant blogs that make up my bookmarked pages. As it happens, this place has also become one where I can express my interests in books & cookery as worthwhile ways to spend my time & since I do spend so much of it propped up against my oven with a book in hand, I thought that I should do the same here.

So hello & welcome to 'The Beet Generation' where I hope you'll come to read about poetry & puy lentils, Ginsberg & guacamole, Burroughs &, well, beets as well as, well, what's going on with me & with you too. 

For now, I've got a butternut squash roasting & the Sunday papers to get through.
Check back for what's been served up on my table (or, more often, duvet) lately & more news of that unavoidable reading list, reading week or no reading week.
Speak soon - O. 

No comments:

Post a Comment